I grabbed a few set up tips from the Town of Cambridge worm farm fact sheet and draw up a worm-inspired sign, so the kids can be sure they are keeping a good eye on their worms.
So, these are basic facts for keeping your worms happy and healthy:
- Worms love sweet, not sour (i.e. not citrus, onions, garlic, etc).
- Worms love dark not light (keep in shaded position with lid on and carpet or cardboard as a cover).
- Worms love moist not dry (test by squeezing a handful of castings to test for moisture - that's fun!).
- Use "worm wee" 1:10 (or 1L to 10L water) for your plants - they'll LOVE you for it!
- Feed small amounts frequently to avoid a smelly worm farm (it should smell like a damp forest or fresh earth).
The kids loved holding the worms and feeling them wriggling in their hands - they were so keen! They thought the idea of "worm wee" was pretty funny too! Love the happy curiosity of kids!